Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Documentaries that have inspired me

Some of the things that first inspired me were documentaries. I love them. I love docs that make me want to be a better person and change the world. But many have inspired me to become a doula.

One of my favorites was Babies. It follows the first year of 4 different babies from all over the world. It is fun to see how different cultures treat babies/birth. And I just loved that there wasn't much speaking, and the film still said so much.

Of course the most inspiring movie I think I have ever seen was The business of being born. The executive director was Ricki Lake and the directer was Abby Epstein. It was so eye opening and touching. I was so excited when they did "More business of being born" also! I have yet to watch the 4 episodes but I plan to do so soon.

One of the first documentaries I ever watched was the miracle of life. I ended up re-watching it with all three of my pregnancies. It was fun to imagine what was happening inside of my body. I felt closer to my babies that way.

Another film I love is National Geographic's the science of babies. The whole idea of referring to a infant as "the human baby" is great. It makes you think about how we are just animals, after all.

And of course I am inspired by all of the many birthing shows on television. Such as a baby story, maternity ward, and I didn't know I was pregnant.

Clearly I was addicted to birth without even realizing it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment