Monday, March 5, 2012

Baby T.

So my first client birth didn't go as anyone had planned. It was still amazing and I am so thankful I got to be a part of bringing baby girl T into the world. As my first birth as a doula, I learned SO MUCH. I guess that is what the 6 pre-certification births are for.

I had only met with Mama one time before labor/birth. She was the girlfriend of the son of a crafty friend of mine. That's right, I am friends with the Grandma. I met Mama when she was about 38 weeks and she was pretty miserable dealing with being pregnant with her first baby and a case of PUPPs. I should mention Mama is a small statured lady, an inch shorter then me! And I am 4'11''.

So a few days after baby T's due date Mama was finally in labor. I was not as prepared as I wanted to be! Mama was already at the hospital and had an epidural before I got to the hospital. Mama was at a different hospital then I thought she was delivering at. Had to drive to downtown Seattle (about 30 minutes from my home.) But I was excited and ready to help in any way I could!

When I knocked on Mama's room and I said I was the doula her nurse said, "She doesn't need a doula, she has an epidural." I was a little shocked. (This was a learning moment for me. I will probably be treated like this in the future also.) So I said as politely as I could that every mama needs a doula. It turned out that this hospital would only let 3 visitors in the room while a mama was laboring. Family were all chosen over me. (Which is understandable.) So I spent most of my time checking on mama and then waiting in the waiting room.

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed but not put out! I used my kid-free hospital waiting room time to study my doula textbook. And I got to visit my friend (grandma-to-be) whenever she came in the waiting room. And I got to listen to all the other excited families who were also waiting on babies to be born.

So the details on Mama's labor: She was only dilated to a 4 when she arrived at the hospital but was not dealing with the pain at all and so got the epidural to relieve that. After a while they gave her pitocin to hopefully help her dilate. Unfortunately she only ever got at a 6. Baby T's head was at an angle not preferable to an easy birth. Mama's cervix had started to swell instead of dilate.

This is when the doctors decided it was time for a C-section. They came in and talked to Mama about it. Then brought the surgeon in and talked about it some more. Mama just wanted labor over. (As would I!)  So they decided on a C-section. I tried to be as comforting and supportive as I could. I knew this decision did not come lightly. I hope Mama knew we(her family and I) all supported her and her decisions.

Some time after 6 Mama was taken to the OR. Baby T was born at 7pm on February 7th, 2012. She was 6lbs 6.9 oz. 19 inches. Just a cute little bundle of baby girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment