Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baby A.

  The second birth I attended as a doula did not turn out as any had planned either. (First lesson of doula-ing - birth hardly ever goes as planned!) And just at the first one, I learned SO much and am so grateful I got to be a part of this wonderful birth.

  Mama was about 36 weeks gestation when her water broke! The previous week she had found out baby was breech. She had an appointment to try to turn the baby that week. So when the water broke and she went to the hospital it turned into a C-section.

  Mama got to the hospital pretty early. Due to me being VERY ill-prepared and my phone not being charged I did not get there until almost 12. (Another lesson! Be prepared a month early! Just in case!)

  Mama was already frustrated with waiting for her baby to be born. She couldn't have anything to eat or drink. Then her Section was pushed back due to someone needing one more then she did. Besides me she had two aunts to support her. So we all sat around telling stories and laughing. Mama started having some pretty painful contractions and I wished their was more I could do. She was stuck in bed with the monitors for her and baby. Poor mama. I tried to be comforting.

  So we waited and waited. And almost an hour after they said they would take her back for surgery they FINALLY came and got her. Her aunt accompanied her to the surgery. Her other aunt and I waited in the waiting room. It seemed like forever to us! I was actually surprised at how long this surgery seemed to take. Most of the C-section birth stories I have heard or read seemed to happen so fast.

  A few minutes after she was taken to recovery we were allowed to join her. Baby was perfect! 6lbs 11oz and 18 inches long. At one point I got to hold her and she was so sweet and precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment