Thursday, January 12, 2012

"She's going to see my vag!"

My very first (squee!) client happens to be a member of my book club. So we are friends. Last night was our monthly meeting. We were standing in the kitchen of this month's host and I mentioned to someone that I am her doula. So she giggles and says, "Yeah, she's going to see my vag!" And we all had a laugh about that.

Later I took her aside and told her that I absolutely WILL not look at her genitals if that  makes her feel uncomfortable. We laughed and talked about how at most hospitals births everyone and their mama sees your genitals during birth. She said she honestly doesn't care one way or the other.

But I wanted the world to know how serious I was about that little part of birth. It is NOT my job to catch the baby or perform any kind procedure. I have no business down there. When everyone else is staring at your vulva watching the miracle of birth, I will be holding your hand looking you in the eyes and supporting YOU.

Although I HEART little babies and birth, it will be my job to be there for what YOU need. There will be PLENTY of doctors and nurses for the baby. My only goal is to help you in any way that I can.

Seeing new babies, minutes after birth will be just a really really awesome perk of this job.

1 comment:

  1. awh that makes me tear up!! What great support you are! Wish i had you during my deliveries!! <3

    ReplyDelete